Search This Blog

Friday, December 21, 2012

Things that only get advertised at holiday time

   
   The past 2 weeks I have been hearing the NPR commercials (what commercial mention NPR has) for pajamagrams.  Pictured above is this year's special "hoodie/footie" model.  I wonder what about the average NPR listener that would make them the ideal customer for a product like this?  I know that a mention on NPR is probably cheaper than other forms of advertising but I can't help but think that the average NPR listener is more sophisticated then to wear something like this to bed.  It got me thinking about the other stupid products that are advertised only at Christmas.
   We have always had the infamous Chia Pets but this year you can celebrate the President's re-election with his very own Chia Pet!  I can't help but think that most of these are given as gag gifts or white elephant gifts.  I only wish I would have seen these in time to give to all the Republican members of my family!
   I miss the annual commercials of the old woman laying in bed showing how the clapper works.  Have all the customers for this product died off??
    Growing up I actually received the Hess trucks for Christmas from my grandparents.  I wish I have saved them as a complete set would probably be worth something these days.
    Harvey's Bristol Cream this year has an innovative commercial with women dancers in cream colored dresses filmed like an old Busby Berkeley  dance routine.
  Who could forget the old commercials of Santa sliding down the snow on the head of a Norelco shaver?

P.S.
A trick the Mayans are playing on us today!

P.S.1
Bet you have never seen this sharp a picture of Mt. Everest.  Move the arrows and magnification buttons to zero in on the picture.

P.S. 2
  After the performance of the Ravens the past 3 weeks many of us are counting the days till the opening of Spring training for the Orioles.  This is the reverse of how these things have always worked in the past.

P.S. 3
From the HoCo Library

Meet The Author: Dr. Gordon Livingston. Dr. Livingston discusses his latest book, The Thing You Think You Cannot Do: Thirty Truths About Fear and Courage. His trademark gifts provide readers everywhere with a much-needed alternative to the trial-and-error learning that makes wisdom such an expensive commodity. 01/15/13 7:00 PM Central Branch http://bit.ly/U1Qt6d
Meet The Author: Dr. Gordon Livingston.  Dr. Livingston discusses his latest book, The Thing You Think You Cannot Do: Thirty Truths About Fear and Courage. His trademark gifts provide readers everywhere with a much-needed alternative to the trial-and-error learning that makes wisdom such an expensive commodity. 01/15/13  7:00 PM  Central Branch http://bit.ly/U1Qt6d
 · 

No comments: