Search This Blog

Wednesday, April 8, 2020

COVID-19 comet?

   Ancient Comet 'Atlas' Measures Half the Size of the Sun and it's ...

     I read something that we might want to keep our eye out for in the next few weeks to take our minds off of the virus.   Comets that are visible are not very common.  The last one I saw was the Hale-Bopp in 1997.  I watched it grow in light intensity for over a month.  You just had to have a clear sky and knew where to look for it.  It was visible easily to the naked eye.  We now may have a chance to see another one if we are lucky in the next few weeks of April.  Here is a link to the story of the comet.

P.S.
     The most famous comet of all time is Halley's comet that last came by in 1986.  It was not spectacular on this approach and it took binoculars to see.  I remember spending a few clear nights to finally see it with binoculars with one of my neighbors.

No comments: