Search This Blog

Monday, February 29, 2016

Leaping into blogging




     Happy Leap Day!  Howard County has had one of the most active blogging communities thanks in large part to HoCo Blogs website.  Bloggers get exposure through this website that would be hard to achieve without this site.  As I approach my 5th year of blogging I have noticed that many of the bloggers that I follow have started blogging less frequently.  I know that things tend to run in cycles and blogging maybe something that has run its course for bloggers who have blogged for a few years.  I know sometimes I wonder how long I would actively blog but it always seems that I hear about something that brings me back to blogging.
     I have always been an anomaly among bloggers in that I don't have a singular focus for my blog. Anyone who has followed this blog knows that I jump around on topics more than almost all other bloggers.  Whatever I learn about this community can become a topic for the blog.  I have of course alienated some readers with my political posts who feel I should stay away from political posts.  I have tried to limit my political posts to those topics of which I feel strongly.  I have strong political beliefs on most topics but generally I stay on the topic of universal health coverage and issues of equality.   Both issues have relevance for today's political discourse.
    Finally I have found that blogging is something I do for myself as much as for sharing information with the community.  It keeps me engaged with the community and leads me to meet a large group of community members that I would not have met if I didn't blog.  I don't know how long I will continue to blog but it has become a habit that will be hard to brake.  And that is not a bad thing.

P.S.
     Blog party tonight at Nalley Fresh in Dobbin Center.  Here is the registration information.  Who can turn down free food!  Columbia always seems to attract cutting edge retailers.


P.S.1
    In 1582 Pope Gregory created the Gregorian calendar to fix the calendar that had a 10 day error because the Earth's rotation around the Sun is not exactly 365 days but is 365 and 1/4 days.  To keep the calendar accurate the Pope created an extra day every 4 years.  Well not exactly since the rotation is not exactly 365 and 1/4th days.  This inaccuracy is solved by not having a leap day every 100 years (1700, 1800, 1900) except in a year that is dividable by 400.  So using this rule we had a leap day back in 2000.

#hocoblogs

2 comments:

Jessie Newburn said...

Thanks for mentioning the party tonight. We are SOLD OUT! No more RSVPs unless others cancel their tickets. Hope to see you soon, Duane.

Jessie Newburn said...

Oh, and, of course, thank you for your blog and continued presence. I remember well when you were a Baby Blogger, just starting out. And look at you now! Five years! Wow! I myself have only published about a dozen posts a year for the last three or four years, though my Uber Chronicles have re-ignited my interest in writing. Thanks for coming out to the party tonight! Hope you had a great time!