Search This Blog

Saturday, April 28, 2012

Soft Shell Crabs

    The crab harvest looks great this year.  For me that means more soft shell crabs.  While I can enjoy picking crab meat from a hard shell crab the ways you can enjoy a soft shell will always be the way I usually go.  For me my last meal would either be a Grottos pizza or a soft shell crab. I remember being able to buy soft shells at the Giant for $.50 many years ago.  Now it seems like $2.50 or $3 is the going rate.  I have found reasonable frozen soft shells at the Family Market in Long Reach.  They aren't the largest but at a little over $1.00 each you can enjoy 2 or 3 at a reasonable cost.

     Like all seafood frozen will never taste as good as fresh but with some interesting seasonings you can enjoy some tasty soft shells.  My favorite approach is to mix some Thai peanut sauce and curry into the egg wash and then to roll the crab in flour.  Back into the egg wash for a second coating of egg wash and then into some panko bread crumbs.  I use the lime soy sauce from the Family Market for a dipping sauce.

P.S.
So the Secret Service will now have chaperones???  Might also be good for some of our elected officials!

No comments: