Search This Blog

Saturday, February 2, 2013

Superbowl chili

 
For me the food I always make for the Super Bowl is chili.  Seems to go great with nacho chips and pita bread.  Last year I blogged on my chili recipe and I am copying that recipe for today's blog.

Ingredients including the secret ingredient that makes it great:
For the meat I like the pulled pork from Kolby's Smokehouse in the shopping strip off Johns Hopkins Road
Tomato base of San Marzano tomatoes found in cans in most grocery stores.  I buy the big can at Costco.
Sauted sliced portobello mushrooms
Finely chopped red peppers
Finely chopped large sweet onion 
One can of beef broth
One cup of Don Pepino ground tomatoes or pizza sauce 
Chili beans 
Half cup of green salsa
1/2 cup red wine (more if you like a stronger wine taste) or grape juice for non drinkers
Secret ingredient----Sazon Goya Coriander and Annatto.  This is found in the Mexican aisle at Shoppers or Weis.  Without this it isn't the same chili.  Found about this seasoning from a student intern that stayed with us from Puerto Rico.


You can see I didn't give many quantities with the ingredients. Chili is one of those dishes that you make by taste.  Chop the onion, red peppers and portobello mushrooms and saute them in a pan with some butter. Then add the pulled pork and add the Sazon seasoning to taste. The box I buy comes with packets of seasoning.  I usually use 2 packets but again this is to your taste.  You can add more if you like later.

In a blender or food processor blend tomatoes till it is liquid.  Add the cup Don Pepino ground tomato sauce (found at Sam's Club) or pizza sauce to thicken the liquid.   Pour into a large pot with the wine, beef broth, sauteed vegetables, chili beans, green salsa and pulled pork.  Cook on a medium setting until it comes to a slow boil then reduce heat to a low setting and cook until the liquid is less watery and thicker.  Depending on the amount of liquid you used it can be from 45 minutes to 75 minutes.  Taste again and add a little more Sazon seasoning if the seasoning taste is not distinct enough. I know this recipe takes quite a bit of shopping (and cooking) to get all the ingredients that I mentioned and but you can substitute some similar ingredients to the ones I mentioned. 
  

No comments: