Search This Blog

Thursday, January 26, 2012

The New Miller Library--Not your Grandfather's library

I did a brief blog a couple of weeks ago about my first visit to the new Miller Branch Library in Ellicott City but I wanted to go back and take some pictures to show some of its unique features.  This branch brings new meaning to the three pillars of the Library System: Self-Directed Education, Research Assistance & Instruction, and Instructive & Enlightening Experiences.  Howard County has a new reason to be proud of our County.
The main entrance to the Library has a frog to greet you and some river stones to remind you of the rivers in the area.
Right inside the entrance you can see that this is a 21st Century library with the wall of touchscreen panels that attract library patrons in an interactive manner.
One of the unique ways the Library attracts young patrons is to have special areas for different age groups of young people. This area is for young readers.  The Tech Lab should be popular with teens with changing coloring of the lighting system that has to also be seen.
The Enchanted Garden will be dedicated this Spring.  This area will be a community based teaching garden which will focus on health, nutrition, and environmental education.
The Terrace Overlook allows customers to read and work outdoors while enjoying the green vegetated roof and views beyond. Designed to achieve LEED Silver Certification from the United States Green Building Council, the energy efficient new Library includes 72 solar panels and ample natural light.
One of the most unique aspects of the Library is in its title--Miller Library and Historical Center.  It houses the new home of the Howard County Historical Society.  I found it fascinating to look at the old pictures taken from around the County.  Definitely stop in to chat with the folks staffing the Historical Center on the second floor.


P. S.
Learn about NeighborRide from a new YouTube video. Watch and maybe consider being a volunteer driver.



2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have to express some thanks to you for rescuing me from this particular dilemma. As a result of searching throughout the world wide web and obtaining recommendations which were not helpful, I figured my life was done. Being alive without the presence of answers to the issues you have fixed by means of the guideline is a critical case, and those that might have negatively damaged my career if I had not noticed your web blog. Your good expertise and kindness in handling a lot of things was vital. I am not sure what I would have done if I had not come across such a step like this. I can at this point relish my future. Thank you so much for this high quality and sensible help. I will not be reluctant to propose your web blog to anyone who requires assistance on this area.
Paderno World Cuisine 1-1/2-Inch Long Polycarbonate Chocolate Mold, Shell Form

Anonymous said...

Hello.This post was really motivating, especially since I was investigating for thoughts on this issue last Monday.
Bogs Women's Classic High Tuscany Rain Boot