Search This Blog

Thursday, January 12, 2012

I bet you are in the top 1%

        We have heard a great deal the past few months about the top 1%.  This usually refers to the top 1 % of households by income in the United States.  To be in the top 1% by income in the United States you would need an annual household income of  $350,000 or above.  I wasn't able to find out what income you would need to be in the top 1% for Howard County residents but I might calculate it this way.  The median household income in Howard County is $101,000 which is a little more than 3 times the median income for households in the United States.  I know that it is an imprecise way of estimating but that would make the top 1% in Howard County at a little more than 3 times the median for the United States or over $1,000,000 a year household income.  There are approximately 104,000 households in Howard County so there would be 1,040 households in Howard County with an annual household income over $1,000,000 a year.
     So where would most of us be in the top 1%?  The median annual income for the world population is $31,000.  That would put most of us in the top 1%.

1 comment:

Karen Lynn said...

Not exactly precise, but probably close to the truth. Even though I'm no where near the top 1% in the US, I still feel blessed to have so much abundance in my life.