Search This Blog

Tuesday, June 9, 2015

Tropical Columbia?

      My idea of a great yard is one like you see below in Key West, Florida.  No grass to be seen. Needless to say we don't have the climate to have a yard like the one below.

  
  But ever since I saw the banana trees shown below growing in Kings Contrivance I have been intrigued by the idea of having some tropical plants in my yard.  These trees have survived the past two cold winters.


      With this goal in mind I have started my own little tropical garden in my yard this year with a palm tree shown below.

Displaying 0608151419-picsay.jpg

                                               and the banana tree shown below.

Displaying 0608151420-picsay.jpg

   Not much to look at yet but this cold hearty banana tree has already grown a foot in the past two weeks.  The secret to growing these in our climate is to use a lot of mulch over the root ball in the cold winter months to keep the trees alive.  Both trees are supposed to survive temperatures down to zero if mulched well.  This winter will tell.  If they survive I plan of buying some more next year.  No need to travel 1500 miles to enjoy a tropical look.  This is where I have brought these hardy trees

#hocoblogs

No comments: