Search This Blog

Monday, June 1, 2015

Hi Ho, Hi Ho its off to work you go

      Another Monday and for many it is the beginning of another work week.  Are people caught in the trap that you don't have any choice in doing this every week to pay for all the conveniences we have come to expect in our lives?  Time is money, isn't it?  We have all heard the expression that no one on their deathbed ever said they wished they had worked more.  Even if you like your job have you misdirected your priority for money over more meaningful ways to spend our time?  These are just some of the points made in an interesting article I read recently.
    Here is just a quick excerpt but I encourage you to read the whole article.

   "The ultimate tool for corporations to sustain a culture of this sort is to develop the 40-hour workweek as the normal lifestyle. Under these working conditions people have to build a life in the evenings and on weekends. This arrangement makes us naturally more inclined to spend heavily on entertainment and conveniences because our free time is so scarce.
    I’ve only been back at work for a few days, but already I’m noticing that the more wholesome activities are quickly dropping out of my life: walking, exercising, reading, meditating, and extra writing.
   The one conspicuous similarity between these activities is that they cost little or no money, but they take time.

    Suddenly I have a lot more money and a lot less time, which means I have a lot more in common with the typical working North American than I did a few months ago. While I was abroad I wouldn’t have thought twice about spending the day wandering through a national park or reading my book on the beach for a few hours. Now that kind of stuff feels like it’s out of the question. Doing either one would take most of one of my precious weekend days!"

P.S.
    Notice the biggest part of the pie.

Time use on an average work day for employed persons ages 25 to 54 with children

No comments: