Search This Blog

Saturday, March 21, 2015

Cheese dilemma at Whole Foods

     Remember when choosing a cheese came down to American, cheddar, Swiss or mozzarella (and Velveeta if you really wanted to go pedestrian)?  Aah simpler days!


    I was reminded of this on a recent visit to Whole Foods.  I thought the cheese selection and prices at Wegman's were more than I could go for but as you can see above the selection of cheese at Whole Foods is even more complicated than at Wegman's.  I feel like an unsophisticated cheese user as I browsed the cheese selections.   To make matters worse, to be really sophisticated, you have to know what wine to match with what cheese.  Of course our outdated alcohol laws in Maryland prevent Whole Foods from pairing their cheese selections with store wine purchases  As an aside--isn't it nice when you travel to other states and you can pick up a bottle of wine while you get groceries and not have to find a separate store?  Once when I was in Florida I bought a wine with groceries one Sunday morning but found out they can't sell alcohol until after noon.  Can't buy alcohol while church services are going on???  Fortunately it was 11:45 so I just went back browsing in the store for 15 minutes and then checked out.
 

     I admit I have evolved from my old college days of cheese wiz on crackers but I haven't quite gone the full way to cheese that is $15 a pound like above.

 
    How about one of the $20 a pound for one the above cheeses?  As much as I like Whole Foods for giving Columbians more choices in our food purchases I have to admit that I know why some call Whole Foods "Whole Paycheck."   Nice for a splurge (like my purchase of homemade ravioli for about $10) but I really don't think it will be my "go to" grocery store.

#hocofood

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Whole Foods does also have simple cheese like cheddar, swiss for cheap prices.