Search This Blog

Saturday, March 28, 2015

Can't "snuck" it passed me

    I am not one of those grammar and spelling snobs that look to lord their superior knowledge over everyone by correcting our grammar and spelling mistakes.  Bloggers know how this works.   But there is one grammar usage that sounds "like fingernails on a caulk board" when I hear it.  That is the use of the word "snuck" as the past tense for "sneak" instead of "sneaked."  I guess all those corrections from my elementary English teachers have stayed with me.   I know it is confusing many times with knowing the right tense for verbs in our language and "sneaked" sounds funny.   It seems that the use of the work "snuck" has become more acceptable as proper English and some dictionaries have started to list both words as being acceptable.  That seems to be the case as I see "snuck" used in books and I doubt that it was overlooked by the editors of the book.  Heaven knows that the English language is constantly changing and new words are added every day to our lexicon but somehow I don't think I will ever adapt to using "snuck."


P.S.
   What is good for the goose is good for the gander!


No comments: