Search This Blog

Monday, May 13, 2013

Binging on books

    My New Year's resolution this year was to read more and spend less time watching TV and on my computer.  Needless to say I have only been partially successful.  With many favorite TV shows ending soon I decided to read for at least 2 hours every night instead of seeing what is on the tube. My usual routine has been to read 30-45 minutes in bed as a way to become sleepy enough to drift off to sleep quickly.  Amazing how tired your eyes can get reading.
    With 2 books from the HoCo Library this past weekend I tried to rectify my failed resolution attempts.  I am very eclectic in my reading material as long as it is non fiction. One of the books is by Mary Roach called Gulp, Adventures along the Alimentary Canal. Mary Roach is a humor author unlike any other.  The topics she picks are ones that seem unusual for someone looking for humor.  This book has made me into a fountain of information on our alimentary canal this past week.
     The second book is The Presidents Club by Nancy Gibbs and Michael Duffy.  This book shows how politics makes strange bedfellows and friendships.  Helps to explain how former presidents bond when elections are in their past.  Wish current politicians could learn this lesson while they are still in power.
    With summer approaching now is a great time to visit the library or local bookstore and stock up for reading on the deck on warm summer evenings.

P.S.
     Having blogged on reading more I have to say that I am sad to see the end of the "Office."  For most of us who have worked in an office the characters on the show brought out, in an exaggerated manner, some of the crazier aspect of office life.  Interactions with co-workers are as complex as any with our family members.  In fact our officemates often are second families. This show has shown how office romance, supervisor incompetence and petty rivalries make for interesting office dynamics.  The show has launched almost as many comic careers as Saturday Night Live.  Thursday night TV viewing for me will have a hole in it next year.

P.S. 1
   Give your kids the gift of reading by attending the kickoff to this year's Summer Reading Program at the Miller library on June 1st.  Nothing helps children in school more than turning them into readers.

P.S. 2
 

    This past week I happened to be in Baltimore and came across this sculpture made from a tree.  Anyone able to guess where this is?

1 comment:

Fencerchica said...

This is a familiar face from Druid Hill Park! We saw it during the Celtic Solstice 5-mile run in December of 2012, and heard from other runners that these were made from the remannts of trees damaged during one of last fall's storms.