Search This Blog

Tuesday, September 17, 2013

Still using your cell phone while driving?

     We all see it and many of us do it---use our cell phones without being hands free.  Just be aware that this will change in two weeks on October 1st.  Maryland now joins 32 other states with this type of law. Legislation passed the last session of the Maryland legislative session has changed the law to requiring the  use of a non-hands free device with cell phones while driving.  It will be a primary offense.  This means that you don't have to have another traffic offense to be pulled over for using your cell phone without a hands free device.
      I thought that when the law was passed and signed by the Governor that I would see fewer people using cell phones that were not hands free but that hasn't seemed to be the case.  I have to confess that I don't have a hands free device but do use my cell phone on my lap on speaker when driving.  I have tried to limit answering the call if I don't recognize the phone number.  I figure that if it is important the caller will leave a message.
     Even worse than talking on your phone is the texting while driving.  I recently blogged on seeing a person texting while driving on the Baltimore Beltway.  Someone texting and driving is 23 times more likely to be involved in an accident.  This fact seems to be ignored by the majority (53%) of young people who feel they can safely text and drive.
     I am blogging now so that we may try to get used to this change over the next two weeks to eliminate the use of our cell phones while we drive.  That includes the hands free use as this still distracts drivers.

1 comment:

Run a Game said...

I just priced out the high end earpiece handsfree devices at the AT&T store, and they've gone up in price, but now they play your music as well, so that's a plus.