Search This Blog

Sunday, May 29, 2011

How not to cook a pizza on the grill

I know there is a way to grill a pizza but everything told me that it would be tricky getting a pizza cooked before burning the crust.  Last night I decided to give it a try.  I know that a high temperature is the key to a crispy crust and that our ovens that only go to 550 degrees can't match the pizza ovens of 900 degrees.  I have a Weber charcoal grill and I let the charcoals burn down to where they weren't flaming.  I didn't want the bottom of the pizza dough to have flames touching it. I had found a wire mesh tray at the grocery store that seemed ideal for using on the grill.  The dough was rolled out, the sauce and cheese and toppings were put on and I was ready to go.  On the grill it went and the cover put on the grill to keep the heat in and melt the cheese.  I watched it closely to try not to burn the bottom.  Well that is when the problem occurred. In a second the bottom started to burn.  Next attempt will use my pizza brick on the grill to prevent this.  More to follow when I try this tomorrow.

No comments: