Search This Blog

Saturday, March 19, 2011

Charlie Sheen and Lindsey Lohan enter Howard County Rehab Program

Gotcha!

In the short time that I have been doing this blog I have been trying to figure out what drives people to the blog. How important is the title of the blog post? Bloggers who blog on celebrities get a great deal of traffic from the general public because of interest in celebrities. This is what makes the tabloids and TV shows like Inside Edition and Entertainment Tonight so popular.

So as a blogger who is trying to blog on more substantive matters (I know that is a subjective judgment) I have trying to come up with catchy titles to draw people to read my blog. This reminds me of when I was working on a college newspaper and wrote the headlines to articles that were written for the paper. Usually the editor did this but he thought we would be better writers if we thought of possible headlines for one addition to the paper. It also probably freed him up from doing a job he didn’t really like.

Secondly yesterday I did a tease of today’s blog. Notice how many times this is done on TV? The show gets you up to the most interesting part and then breaks for a commercial. Or the host of the show will tell you something they will talk about after the commercial. This was brought to a new height with the famous Dallas show ending their season with everyone wondering “Who shot JR.” It brought a huge audience to the first episode of the new season after having everyone speculating all summer.

I did this little experiment on the weekend because views of the blog are naturally fewer on the weekend and I like trying to be somewhat off topic on the weekends. So for Monday back on topic about how discussion on issues and community engagement can improve our community.

No comments: